The Differences Between Collision Repair Centers and Auto Repair Shops
You may consider that owning a car is a privilege, while others say it’s a necessity. Either way, they have become an important part of our everyday lives. Most people are content with driving around in their car without really having the knowledge of how it works.
It’s important for car owners to know the basic parts of their automobiles. This basic understanding will give you an idea of what type of shop you should go to for repairs. Having said this, it’s common for car owners to think that they should go to a mechanic for every problem their cars may have. While this would work in some cases, you can’t go to a mechanic for a dented bumper or paint job.
Cars have two divisions, the engine and the body. The engine makes your car move while the body holds the engine, the passengers, and all the other things. An auto repair shop is responsible for fixing your engine, while an auto body shop or collision repair center is responsible for fixing dents, doors, and windows, among other things.
Auto Repair Shop
This is where you take your cars if they have engine issues. If you have internal problems with your automobile without any external damage, you have brought your car to the right place. These shops have the training, expertise, and knowledge to remove and replace old and worn-out parts of your engine to get your car running smoothly again.
When it comes to your car’s mechanical parts that need fixing or replacing, an auto repair shop is your best bet. If you need your engine light checked or one of your lights is not working, it’s best to visit your local auto repair shop. We have listed some of the common repairs that auto repair shops do:
- Oil Change – Almost all automobiles (except electrical ones) need an oil change. The oil circulates throughout the entire engine. Without the oil to keep the engine lubricated, metal would rub against metal, and your car’s engine would break down a lot faster. The oil in your car’s engine eventually goes bad. Every repair shop that changes your car’s oil will tell you when to come back for another oil change.
- Engine Repair – Your car’s engine is a complex piece of machinery that has a lot of moving components. When you open up your hood and look at it, there is a lot more going on under all that metal. Auto repair shops help you diagnose and fix the problems your engine might have.
- Brake Replacement – This is one of the most important parts of your car. Brakes are responsible for stopping or slowing down your vehicle. The brake pads are one of the most used parts of your car, which means that they should be replaced often, and auto repair shops can help you with that.
Body Repair Shops
As stated earlier, a collision repair center handles the body of the car. They focus more on fixing dents, body panels, and the overall aesthetic of your automobile. These types of shops have certain specialties when it comes to automobile repair. The work they do requires a unique set of skills and different kinds of tools for the body of the car.
If you want a certain color for your automobile or tints on your windows, they are the ones who handle that. Here are some things that auto body shops offer:
- Body Panel Replacement – The outside of your car is made of different parts. There are body panels, doors, fenders, and everything in between. If one of the panels is damaged, it’s cheaper to replace it entirely. A good auto body shop can help you with that.
- Paint Restoration – Scratches can come from anywhere. It can come from debris falling on your car or from plants scratching the paint while driving past them. The important thing to remember is that the paint they are using should match your car’s original color. This skill might take years to master. However, you don’t have to worry because auto body shops often have painters to get the job done.
- Dent Repair – Dents don’t last forever; you can restore the car to its original shape. Now, there are things you can do at home to repair your car, but it’s better to let the professionals handle it. They will make sure that the dent is gone and your car is back to its original shape.
Getting your vehicle fixed and back on the road is the most important job for any automobile garage or shop out there. Mechanics and bodywork professionals care about your car as much as you do. Quality work should always be the result when getting your car fixed. In the end, choosing the right shop depends on the repairs needed and the outcome you want.